The Adventures of John Berman--Sur de la Fronterra

The exploits of an American University student and his feeble attempts to communicate with the local population in their own native language.

Sunday, March 27, 2005

Easter Sunday

It's Easter Sunday here in Chile, jsut like it's Easter Sunday in other parts of the world. It doesn't seem like a big deal here. The mall is open and everything so I'm here in Starbucks taking advantage of their free wireless access.

I have a feeling Thursday was more imporant because the whole country was closed. I guess on Thursday Jesus got a Barros Jarpa (the Chilean name for a steak and cheese sandwhich, named after a president in the early part of 20th century who was really fat and liked to eat the sandwhich all the time.) None of the Chileans seem interested in going to church today though. My host parents are staying at home but perhaps because they are protestant.

Last night we went to the pub and saw the Chile-Uruguay world cup qualifier. The bar had a huge screen up but nobody showed up, I have feeling because of the holidays. Chile tied with Uruguay 1-1.

After talking with Spanish teacher I found out that Chile's football team is apparently really bad. They're one big dissapointment so I'm told.


online college and university