The Adventures of John Berman--Sur de la Fronterra

The exploits of an American University student and his feeble attempts to communicate with the local population in their own native language.

Monday, February 21, 2005

Taxi Driver

On Friday, I went to a bar in Ñuñoa. We had a great time. I tried Austral which was a German type of beer. My host Mom told me she likes Lemon Stone, so I ordered it to see if I would like it. Instead of being a beer with a little bit of lemon juice (kind of the Carona thing with lime) it was lemon juice with a little bit of beer in it, not too good.

I went back around 2AM. Since the buses stoped running to Las Condes I had to take a cab. I shared it with Natalie. After she left I had this really great conversation with the taxi driver. When I first got in the cab, I thought he was a little crazy, extreme gestures with the head, and he used phrases I wasn´t familiar with, but after talking with him he turned out to be really cool.

He told me how the department of tourism was providing free year long English classes for taxi drivers and others so that they could communicate with English speaking tourists. I guess it`s a policy in line with the government's determination to teach every Chilean child English. We talked about the US and we talked about our families. It was interesting when he dropped me off. I tried to give him a big tip but he gave me a 1000 pesos back. Really nice guy. As he was driving away he stuck his head out the window and honked the horn shouting --¡Adios Amigo!


online college and university