The Adventures of John Berman--Sur de la Fronterra

The exploits of an American University student and his feeble attempts to communicate with the local population in their own native language.

Monday, January 31, 2005

Long Time Away from the PC

Well, I´ve been in Chile for three days now. My host family picked me up at the airport (after I paid the $100 entrance fee) and took me home. They´re a really sweet old couple who live at home with their daughter. At the time, I could kind of understand them although it was tough because my spanish is rusty. They took me home and pointed out some sights for me. As we were driving I noticed that a ton of construction is going on. It seems that Chile is doing really well in the new economy. Roads and malls are being built, construction workers are around by the hundreds, and dust is everywhere as new buildings go up. It seems like the country is doing real well and the local population is enamored with consumerism. There are advertisments for cell phones and cars, clothing, and anything else you could want.

We got home and they showed me my bed which is in this tiny room with a closet and a bathroom. Not a lot of space but it´s livable. I just unpacked and then I hit the sack because I didn´t sleep at all on the flight. When I got up, they made me breakfast which consisted of avocado spread on bread with tomatoe and salt (LOTS OF SALT). Apparantly salt goes on everything. Afterwards, they took me to the supermarket and they let me get some stuff for my meals. They´re supposed to make me breakfast and dinner. Their daughter, who originally I thought would be like 11 or 12, turned out to be 26 and works with children with learning disabilities along with her pololo (boyfriend in chilean).

Ismail the Pololo was a nice guy and we talked about politics. The US of course is the big imperializer. I think Bush has got a lot of work to do if he´s serious about changing hearts and minds. I tried to explain to him the US position but I didn´t come across well because my speaking is weak, although I think I´m okay at understanding what I´m told, although it depends on the person's accents. Anyway, Ismail said that he had a hard time believing the good intentions of the US considering its history in the region, namely Gautamela, Allende, and Nicaragua and that with the US war in Iraq, the US is just being imperialistic. I understand his view, but I think the US doesn´t think in the same way as it did during the Cold War. I think we have a lot better awareness of the long term effects of our actions. Considering our history though, especially in this region, I could see it´s going to take a lot to get people to change their minds about the gringo.

Saturday night we went to a pena which is a bar that also has a guy playing folk songs on the guitar. It was neat and there was a mix of people of different ages. I went with my host sister and Ismail and we listened to old chilean songs from the 50´s and 60´s while drinking something that was sangria-like but not sangria. I couldn´t understand a lick of spanish though because of the noise so I just kept saying ¨si si¨. We got back to house around 5AM which might be early for Santiogians.

Sunday my host parents took me to a fair in a typical Chilean village, I believe the village was called Curacavi. It was alright as far as fair goes. Besides the interesting crafts and food, I noticed the village was really different from Santiago. There was only one paved road and there only full houses, as we would think of them in the US. The others seemed almost put together as an afterthought. Many were small and parts of them seem to have a slight slant. After driving through the village I wondered where they got their food from. I only saw one building that resembled a store. I guess Chileans outside of Santiago are poorer than their brethren in the city.

After the fair we drove through the mountains to get home which had roads just like the ones you see in car commercials, hairpin turns and the like. It´d be a great place if you had a sports car and no will to live...


online college and university