The Adventures of John Berman--Sur de la Fronterra

The exploits of an American University student and his feeble attempts to communicate with the local population in their own native language.

Monday, February 07, 2005

Iqueque--No updates for a week+cell phone

No, I don´t think anyone knows what Will Mount is talking about, but I´m sure he means well. As far as the letter goes either open it and tell me what it says etc...or send it to my house in New York. Thanks.

And by the way, I don´t have to Americanize these people because McDonald´s is doing a good enough job on it´s own without my help!

Right now, I´m in Iqueque which is the desert in the north of Chile. I´m probably not going to be able to update the blog while I'm here because it´s undeveloped up here and we´ll be traveling for awhile. We´re going to see a few mining towns, the geysers, a strip mine, and a couple museums, as well as the beach, hot springs, and the nightlife...hehehe...it all sounds very good.

For the first three days of the trip we´ll be staying in a 5 star hotel. Sorry my writing iss deterioting but there´s only one computer with internet in the hotel (this is a four star place) and I´ve got a line of non-english speakers breathing down my neck...in Spanish...so I need to be quick.

Interesting note, the people at the US embassy we talked to said they estimate that Chile will be a developed nation by 2011, I think that´s a good estimate, although I´d give them a few more years, 6 isn´t a long time. But it's food for thought. Chile may play an important role in the world of the future. An economy the size of a European nation is nothing to sneeze at...(unless your the US fo course! HAHA!!!) Although the folks at the embassy called Chile the ¨good guy¨ of Latin America.

Anyway if the Latinos don´t kill me, I´m sure the salt in the food will. Chileans love salt, (equipping everyone with dinner with their own personal salt shaker!) It´s like they know of no other spice. I try and grab the food before it gets salted but I´m sure they sneak it in somehow. Anyway, I'm bouncing...Adios! I'll try and post when I can.

BTW, those of you trying to reach my cell phone try 569 09 before the number or just 09...It's hard to figure out how to use the cell phones because the instructions are in Spanish and seem to depend on you knowing something that I don´t know.


online college and university