The Adventures of John Berman--Sur de la Fronterra

The exploits of an American University student and his feeble attempts to communicate with the local population in their own native language.

Thursday, February 24, 2005

The Micro

Sometimes I feel like the bus driver´s here think they´re fighter pilots. The bus system here is called the "Micro" and it´s the heart of the transportation system here in Santiago, although it´s slowly being replaced by the ever expanding subway system they´re building. The buses are big and yellow and they go flying through Santiago´s streets at sound breaking speeds. Sometimes, when I´m waiting for the bus I wonder if people have lost limbs from sticking out too far on the street. They always seem to take corners really tight and they´re dangerously close to the sidewalks.

There are tons of buses that pass by at every given moment. It´s kind of a chore to signal the one you want. I don´t know how people do it. But if you signal one and it´s wrong, usually the one you want just blows by. They drive like maniacs. One time I was in a bus on a field trup, a private tour bus, we were in the turning lane. The city bus was two lanes over. Our bus driver was about to turn when this city bus takes the sharpest turn I´ve ever seen a bus take. It went across two lanes of traffic and cut us off. Our bus driver was forced to stop in mid-turn in order to let the bus pass. He shook is head and literally clapped in admiration of the ambitious bus driver.

Inside the bus is interesting. Each driver usually personalizes his driving area. Usually they´ll have a flag or some Santa Maria whatever shrine (better than insurance) along for the ride. One guy had written on his bus ¿Si Dios es por nosotros, quines contra nosotros? "If god is for us, who is against us?" The bus is pretty bumpy and I hear it´s packed when the summer ends and everyone returns from vacation. It´s a crazy ride as ice cream and drink vendors hop on, touting their wares to trapped bus riders. I´ve even seen people offer bags and decorated socks, along with stickers and other stuff.

Getting off is an experience, some buses have a cord you pull, others don´t. I usually tell the driver I want to make a hasty escape and they let me out, but I´ve also jumped off (and on at times) of moving buses.

It´s definitely a good idea to keep your wits while you're riding. In the end, the best advice I can give after living here for a month is definitely that it´s safer to be on the bus then off it.

PS. I´ll stay out as long as I want to, and mom promised to pay for my trip to Machu Picchu as a birthday present! So there! And I expect a bank account report shortly. HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD!


online college and university