The Adventures of John Berman--Sur de la Fronterra

The exploits of an American University student and his feeble attempts to communicate with the local population in their own native language.

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

First Conversation with the Family

I had my first conversation with my host family today. I called around 6:50 EST which I think is 7:50 Chilean time although I still haven't figured out what the time difference is. Anyway, they seemed really nice and excited. Carlos answered the phone and he was really happy to talk to me. I felt kind of flustered during the whole conversation, I had that feeling I always get in Spanish class when the teacher assaults me with questions. Except this time I wasn't in class, I was speaking Spanish for real, with real people who use the language instead of English. How about that! Talking! And not using English! Crazy!

I understood Carlos, but when Maria Elena (his wife) spoke to me I had no idea what she was saying. I kept saying "no comprendo", "lo siento"...they must think I know nothing! Hahaha! Well, low expectations are easy to beat, that's what I always say.

So, I am not nervous about going but I definitely realize it's going to be a lot of work. I need to "el cram" the "espanol", so to speak, but that's what the 12 hour flight is for, right?


online college and university