The Adventures of John Berman--Sur de la Fronterra

The exploits of an American University student and his feeble attempts to communicate with the local population in their own native language.

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Helado, Bebida, Chirimoya...Helado...

Today I finally had the question that was burning in my mind for the past two months answered. I always wondered what the people who sell cold drinks and ice cream on the buses do during the winter. It´s been kind of cold this week and I think the majority of the guys selling ice cream have moved on to candy.

It seems like the bus drivers have a good relationship with the people who sell things. They don´t make them pay when they get on the bus. Probably because they only go one block. In my opinion, it´s odd because the bus drivers get paid a percentage of the money they make on their bus, but I guess they don´t care about the couple of blocks.

What they sell is only 100 pesos which is about 20 cents I´d say (582 pesos to the dollar). They always hop on and shout ¨helado, bebida, chirimoya, naranja, manzana...!¨ And then if no one is interested they stop and leave, but before they leave they turn back and give one more try ¨helado...bebida...chirimoya?¨I can do a great imitation of it which I´ll be doing a lot when I get back. I wonder how´d they do at Yankee Stadium selling beer and hot dogs?


online college and university