The Adventures of John Berman--Sur de la Fronterra

The exploits of an American University student and his feeble attempts to communicate with the local population in their own native language.

Saturday, April 30, 2005

Last Night

I crawled into bed at around 5AM last night. We went out for sushi and then to three bars in Provedencia. We started at Budapest, a bar in Bilboa. Next, because my friends, locked in their American ways, decided to go to an Irish pub. Which I am against just because I think we´re in Chile in order to meet Chileans and experience their culture, not Irish culture.

But at least it was fun. We actually met Irish people, funny meeting Irish people at an Irish pub in Chile. They had very nicely sounding accents and were just a riot to listen to. Apparently, Irish people adapt well to a pub environment.

With sayings like --I´d burst into flames if I went into an English pub-- which is about the most appropriate thing said last night. And the rest should be forgetten by humanity and never brought up again.

Interestingly though, one of the fellows there was half-Irish, half-Peruvian. He wasn't a fan of the Chileans and was there on business. Apparently, there is a lot of racism in Chile against Peruvians. That wasn't suprising to me though, I've heard many here say that Lima is a dirty, ugly city. Additionally, in the Plaza de Armas, there is the Peruvian corner where the migrants sit and wait for work. It seems here, Peruvians are like Mexicans in the US.


online college and university