The Adventures of John Berman--Sur de la Fronterra

The exploits of an American University student and his feeble attempts to communicate with the local population in their own native language.

Friday, April 29, 2005

Ah Choo

Apparently, Chileans don´t say ´god bless you´ or ´gazuntheit´ or even salud. I talked about with my Spanish professor today and she said that it recently became rude to say it. It's baffling how a country of 15 million people can come to a decision like that.

After my Pobreza and Desarrollo class I went with Mark and Ryan to the Pre-Colombian Art Museum near La Plaza de Armas. It cost 2.000 pesos which was kind of steep compared to the other museums that only cost 600 pesos. The museum was very well run with interesting exhibits although it was kind of small. It only had one floor.

The exhibits had a lot of pottery and statues. Apparently, that´s what they did back then. Interestingly, they also had an exhibit on pre-colombian textiles which was different. Apparently, there are a number of ways to stitch alpaca wool together depending on whether you want to make clothing, tablecloths, or carpets.

I came back around 4PM and had my host mom´s stew waiting in the fridge which I gobbled up. There was also some mint chocolate laying around which I nibbled on. She´s been taking a cooking class on chocolates which I would say is working out in my favor.


online college and university